CANDLEMASS , DEATH ANGEL , I PREVAIL , KILLSWITCH ENGAGE and TOOL are among the "Best Metal Performance" nominees at the 62nd annual Grammy Awards , which will be held on on January 26 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and will broadcast live on the CBS television network at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT.
"Best Metal Performance" nominees:
* CANDLEMASS - "Astorolus - The Great Octopus" (feat. Tony Iommi)
* DEATH ANGEL - "Humanicide"
* I PREVAIL - "Bow Down"
* KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - "Unleashed"
* TOOL - "7empest"
"Best Rock Performance" nominees:
* BONES UK - "Pretty Waste"
* GARY CLARK JR. - "This Land"
* BRITTANY HOWARD - "History Repeats"
* KAREN O & DANGER MOUSE - "Woman"
* RIVAL SONS - "Too Bad"
"Best Rock Song" (A Songwriter(s) Award) nominees:
* "Fear Inoculum" - TOOL, songwriters (TOOL)
* "Give Yourself A Try" - George Daniel, Adam Hann, Matthew Healy & Ross MacDonald, songwriters (THE 1975)
* "Harmony Hall" - Ezra Koenig, songwriter (VAMPIRE WEEKEND)
* "History Repeats" - Brittany Howard, songwriter (Brittany Howard)
* "This Land" - Gary Clark Jr., songwriter (Gary Clark Jr.)
"Best Rock Album" nominees:
"Amo" - BRING ME THE HORIZON
"Social Cues" - CAGE THE ELEPHANT
"In The End" - THE CRANBERRIES
"Trauma" - I PREVAIL
"Feral Roots" - RIVAL SONS
This year, HIGH ON FIRE was honored with a Grammy in the "Best Metal Performance" category in the pre-telecast ceremony at the 61st annual Grammy Awards , which was held on February 10 at Staples Center. HIGH ON FIRE was nominated for "Electric Messiah" , the title track of its 2018 album.
Last year, the Recording Academy announced several changes to the awards process, most notably to the "General Field" categories — record of the year, album of the year, song of the year and best new artist — where the number of nominations was increased from five to eight. The Recording Academy also claims to have made greater efforts this year to diversify its voting body, reaching out to women and people of color specifically about becoming new members while requiring longtime members to re-qualify based on recent work.
The Grammys are voted on by approximately 13,000 Recording Academy members, who are comprised of artists, songwriters, producers and engineers. More than 21,000 recordings were submitted for Grammys consideration this year. For 2020 awards, music must have been released between October 1, 2018 and August 31, 2019 in order to be eligible.