This year is just about half over and thanks to some research from Metal Insider we can take a look at what the best selling rock and metal albums are this year so far.
It should as absolutely zero shock to everyone that Metallica's absolutely unstoppable 1991 self-titled album is on this list, and that Metallica's Hardwired… To Self-Destruct tops the list. Metallica is just an unbeatable force at this point and it's pretty crazy.
Check out the list below.
1. Metallica – Hardwired… to Self Destruct (136,000 sold)
2. Bon Jovi –This House is Not for Sale (131,000 sold)
3. Breaking Benjamin – Ember (117,000 sold)
4. Greta Van Fleet – From the Fires (98,000 sold)
5. A Perfect Circle – Eat the Elephant (94,000 sold)
6. Five Finger Death Punch – A Decade of Destruction (87,300 sold)
7. Metallica – Metallica (87,000 sold)
8. Judas Priest –Firepower (84,000 sold)
9. Five Finger Death Punch – And Justice For None (82,500 sold)
10. Shinedown – Attention Attention (80,500 sold)
11. Ghost – Prequelle (62,000 sold)
12. Godsmack – When Legends Rise (60,000 sold)
13. Kid Rock –Sweet Southern Sugar (59,500 sold)
14. Metallica – Master of Puppets (58,500 sold)
15. Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory (49,000)
Some other cool notes from the list over on Metal Insider include Black Label Society's new album Grimmest Hits selling 29,000, Metallica's recently reissued The $5.98 EP: Garage Days Re-Revisited selling 33,000, Ride The Lightning selling 37,000, and the not-even-reissued-yet …And Justice For All selling 40,500. Also worth noting that Guns N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction has sold 43,500 copies this year and their Greatest Hits selling 41,500.
I think the real takeaway here is that Metallica is a sales machine.